I can’t believe it was such a short time ago that I had never been on a helicopter. Now? After three trips in such a short amount of time, I can’t believe what a wonderful way it is to see landscapes such as the Las Vegas Strip. It seems like ages ago that I thought I’d been the least bit scared — but it takes off straight up and with such smoothness that it truly feels like a car in the sky, as close to the Jetsons as I’ll ever get. My most recent trip was with Heli USA, which just happened to my first also. This time, I didn’t go camping with real cowboys at the Grand Canyon Ranch, but instead opted for a nighttime tour of the Strip. And just a few weeks ago, I got another taste with Papillon helicopters. This time, how fun to see such a familiar, glitzy place from the sky at night!
Who hasn’t wanted to cruise the nighttime Strip in a helicopter? I joined my friend Kristen, whose blog Swanky Dietitian I’ve come to rely on for great recipes and inspiration for fun activities around Vegas, for an 8:30 pm ride. We kicked off with a glass or two of champagne in the hanger before taking off.
Of course when they asked for a volunteer to ride up front with the pilot, my hand shot up like an over-eager second-grader. I needn’t have worried: Aside from Kristen and I, the rest of the passengers were tourist couples, who recoiled from the pilot’s offer. Me, I was thrilled!
The Strip is so exciting at night — all aglow. The new casinos are so sleek and modern now, but a part of me misses the themed hotels. How can you say no to that Eiffel Tower?
The most surprising part of the trip? How close we got to the Stratosphere! It happens to be the home of my favorite ride, Big Shot. I couldn’t believe how close we were to the top of the tallest hotel in Vegas, which has always felt so high up in the air!
I was a guest of activity gurus Cloud 9 Living, but all opinions are my own. Interested in having your own adventure in Vegas? Win your an experience by entering Cloud 9 Living’s 9 Days of Christmas.
From December 16th through the 24th, they will draw one daily winner for the following prizes, culminating with the Grand Prize drawing on December 24th:
- Day 1 Prize: Flight – Learn to Fly
- Day 2 Prize: Relaxation – Spa Package
- Day 3 Prize: Driving – Drive a Stock Car & Stock Car Ride Along
- Day 4 Prize: Foodie – Food Tour for Two
- Day 5 Prize: Golf – Golf Lesson with a PGA Pro
- Day 6 Prize: Romance – Dinner Cruise for Two
- Day 7 Prize: Adventure – White Water Rafting for Two
- Day 8 Prize: Adrenaline – Tandem Skydiving
- Day 9 Prize (GRAND PRIZE): Experience of a Lifetime – Fighter Pilot for a Day
And please check out Swanky Dietitian — she’s super-fab!
Vegas isn’t the only city with Cloud 9. My friends at Santa Fe Travelers went on a food extravaganza with them in Denver. Have you ever taken an adventure with this company? How did it go?
Latest posts by Abby (see all)
- 3 Destinations to Escape the Cold this Winter - December 2, 2016
- 7 reasons Cape Verde should be on your holiday hit list - May 30, 2016
- Top Ideas for Day Tours from Jakarta - May 27, 2016